Monday, May 04, 2009

Being pragmatic

Being pragmatic means that you consider what works over what is correct or pretty.

I'm a big fan of being pragmatic. A big mistake I see is that people think that if you are pragmatic you should not be concerned with doing things smart. This is wrong. I believe pragmatic is about spending the least amount of time creating a thing that fulfills a need.
If the need is to be able to maintain it, the pragmatic solution won't be to hardcode everything.

The pragmativc solution is not:
  • Ignore common sense
  • Start coding before you think
  • Avoid design
The pragmatic solution for me is almost always to stop and think about what makes sense. This is the way I solve my problems in the most optimized way. I hope you will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment