Friday, January 29, 2010

Being a Generalist

Thats me!

I dream in abstracts and concepts and avoid anything with substance.

Some people like using their time getting better at what they already know. I seldomly have more than one book on a subject and have a hard time focussing on a single issue long enough to get any real experience with it. As soon as I have basic knowledge of a subject I tend to move on. This doesn't mean that I don't have a lot of books or isn't constantly on the lookout for new input. Au contraire.

If we take databases as an example. My interest stops at tables and what you can do with ANSI SQL. What features each database implementation has is not really important to me. I can look that up if I need it later.

The disadvantage of this approach is that I'm dependend on my team to complete anything. Luckily I like working together with people.

The advantage is that the knowledge I gather isn't easily outdated and it can therefore accumulate over time. In other words I don't have to start from scratch every other year by learning new technologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment